We at PartSpares believe the EU has missed a golden opportunity.
The WEEE Directive basically aims to:
* reduce waste from electrical and electronic equipment (EEE)
* encourage separate collection of WEEE
* encourage treatment, reuse, recovery, recycling and sound environmental disposal of EEE
* make producers of EEE responsible for the environmental impact of their products
* improve the environmental performance of all those involved during the lifecycle of EEE.
What it does NOT seem to encourage is the REPAIR of electric and electronic products. In other words, it effectively promotes the needless and highly eco-damaging early disposal and replacement of such items.
What is the point of generating a thriving business in waste disposal when they could just as easily (it seems to us) have re-generated the appliance repair sector, which is now pretty much dead on its feet?